The Institute for the Promotion of Human Evolution "Sumeragi" (人類進化推進機構スメラギ), also known as the Sumeragi Institute of Human Evolution and often shortened to just Sumeragi, is a massive corporation that has come to dominate the entire world, functioning as its effective government. Under the leadership of its supervisory AI, "Demerzel", the institute has pursued a policy of genocide, mercilessly slaughtering "Minos", those without Septimal powers, in order to bring about the next step in mankind's evolution.
Sumeragi serves as the antagonist group of Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX.
After Asimov killed Gunvolt and Joule after the two refused to join him, he took over the Sumeragi Group, which had just been thrown into chaos as a result of Gunvolt's actions, and became its shadow leader. Hiding his identity and adopting the persona of an AI named "Demerzel", he saved the company from collapse and continued friendly relations with humanity. However, after Adepts began to outnumber humans, Demerzel revealed his true intentions. Under him, Sumeragi re-branded as the Sumeragi Institute of Human Evolution and began killing humans indiscriminately, branding them "Minos" (taken from the word "minority") to usher in a new age.
Luminous Avenger iX
By the time the game begins, Sumeragi has already has ensured adept supremacy via the purging of Minos. No opposition is ever mentioned, if it actually exists, as the Minos lack the means to even the playing field against Adepts and their Septima. The only exception is one man; the one both Minos and Sumeragi call "iX", for the X-mark that he stamps into his enemies.
Sumeragi's Falcons make multiple attempts to defeat iX, but each and every one ends in failure and the deaths of the Falcons. Not even Blade, the best of the best, seems to be able to stop him.
By this time, however, iX has managed to track the location of Sumeragi's two biggest assets; the Butterfly Effect that allows them to locate and control Adepts, and Demerzel itself. iX manages to break into the facility where they are kept, and destroys them both, depriving Sumeragi of both their greatest weapon and their leadership.
The effective successor to Swordsmen, Falcons (Winged Warriors in the Japanese version) are a group of elite soldiers that make up of the strongest Adepts in the nation, having been chosen specifically due to their formidable power. They are the only ones trusted with Falcon Quills, which further increase their abilities.
Unlike the Swordsmen, many of whom were implied to have willingly volunteered their services, it is suggested that Sumeragi either forcibly conscripts all of its Falcons or strong-arms them into "accepting" the position. As a result, there exists varying levels of commitment amongst the Falcons; some, such as Isola and Crimm embrace their new calling with professionalism and even zealotry, whereas others are far more reluctant, such as Bakto and Rebellio, showing no signs of prejudice against Minos, even the infamous "iX".
Six Falcons, in addition to Blade, serve as the main bosses of Luminous Avenger iX.
Sumeragi Special Forces
The Sumeragi Special Forces is a task force that specializes in global operations (namely hunting down Minos and the infamous iX) and are the main adversaries that Copen faces. Sumeragi Soldiers belong to this group.
Sumeragi Infantry or Sumeragi Soldiers are the main frontline forces from the Sumeragi Special Forces; the main armed forces of Sumeragi Institute of Human Evolution. Unlike the old Sumeragi, the soldiers of current Sumeragi are now Adepts and their mission is to maintain the peace in Sumeragi Controlled Districts, and, under direct orders from Demerzel hunt down every Mino they can find.
They are divided into 5 types; Standard Gunner, Launcher, Flame Gunner, Grenadier, and Psi-Users.
|Model No. BSM-02
|A black state-of-the-art fighter jet drone developed by Sol Electronics for the Sumeragi Institute for minos hunting. It is designed to operate in complicated environments like urban areas, and carries an ultra-high output energy cannon called the Accel Blast. The Accel Blast is said to reduce minos residences to scorched earth.|
|A ladybug-like security robot deployed at Data Center Beta. It is equipped with firebombs dropped from the underside, and can close its shell for high-speed rotating bash attacks.|
|Annoyed with the continued survival of minos, Demerzel designed and mass produced this tank to scour slums across the world and finally eradicate them all.
Its appearance and voice are based on Copen's support pod, Lola, who serves as a symbol of hope to minos, to act as a weapon of terror and cruel irony.
Like Lola, it is equipped with a septima pseudo-recreation system that deploys a variety of attacks based on the septimal powers of Adepts. Sumeragi couldn't succeed in miniaturizing the technology, however.
Stage article: Sumeragi Building 13
Building 13 (スメラギ第拾参ビル) is the Sumeragi Institute's largest property in the world. It is a high security building located within one of their adept districts. Materials were transported to the building via trains, which stopped at a depot within the building itself. Following Copen's attack, the train transports ceased.
Stage articles: Sumeragi Secret Bunker 1, Sumeragi Secret Bunker 2, Sumeragi Secret Bunker 3
Located beneath Building 13 are the Secret Bunkers (スメラギ地下秘密基地), undergone zones which house both the Butterfly Effect and Demerzel. The areas leading to the Butterfly Effect and Demerzel are guarded by solid holographic copies of the Falcons.
Radio Tower Artemis
Stage article: Radio Tower "Artemis"
Radio Tower "Artemis" (超級電波塔“ツクヨミ”) is an enormous radio tower where important data communications are carried. The building towers over the surrounding cityscape, and materials are brought to the upper floors via aircraft.
Data Center Alpha
Stage article: Data Center Alpha
Data Center Alpha (第一データ施設) is a derelict data storage facility where one of the passwords to the Secret Bunkers is stored. It is the remains of the old Sumeragi Group's Datastore.
Data Center Beta
Stage article: Data Center Beta
Data Center Beta (第二データ施設) is a high security new facility which holds the Sumeragi Institute's most classified data, including one of the Secret Bunker passwords.
- Sumeragi Institute founding a world of Septima Holders is much akin to the plans devised by the multinational adept terrorist organization Eden.
- Similar to the Sumeragi Group, the Sumeragi Institute has a Christian motif, with the Falcons, bar Blade, having been inspired by the Christian Hierarchy of Angels (also known as Orders or Choirs).
- Rebelio was inspired by the 1st Choir, Seraphim.
- Dystnine was inspired by the 2nd Choir, Cherubim.
- Crimm was inspired by the 4th Choir, Dominions/Lordship.
- Bakto was inspired by the 5th Choir, Virtues/Strongholds.
- Isola was inspired by the 6th Choir, Powers/Authorities.
- Stella was inspired by the 7th Choir, Principality/Rulers
- The Falcons (except Blade) each represent one of the Greek Zodiac, as well as object based off the Zodiac which is incorporated in their design.
- Rebelio represents Aries and is based off a sheep/ram.
- Crimm represents Cancer and is based off a crab.
- Stella represents Libra and is based off a balance scale.
- Dystnine represents Taurus and is based off a bull.
- Isola represents Virgo and is based off a maiden.
- Bakto represents Leo and is based off a lion.
- The names of the seven bosses were derived from various films.
- "Blade" is taken from Blade Runner, a 1982 science-fiction film.
- "Rebellio" is taken from Rebellion, a 2011 French historical drama.
- "Crimm" is taken from Pacific Rim, a 2013 American monster film.
- "Inters" and "Stella" are taken from Interstellar, a 2014 epic science fiction film.
- "Dynein" and "Dystnine" are taken from District 9, a 2009 science fiction action film.
- "Isola" is taken from Isola: Persona 13,a 2000 science fiction horror film.
- "Bakto" is taken from Back to the Future, a 1985 science fiction film.