"I just wanted to torment a cutie-pie like you..."
—Romeo , Azure Striker Gunvolt
Romeo, also known as Creepy Electro Whip Guy, is a Sumeragi Group executive and a minor antagonist in Azure Striker Gunvolt. An eccentric, somewhat disturbing person, Romeo is known for his sadistic tendencies, especially towards young men.
OVA Website Description
Romeo is a Sumeragi Group officer who does not possess any Septimal powers.
His official position should be higher than Nova's, and yet, does not outrank him.
He loves to torment cute young men, so much so that he has a special room in Sumeragi's main building that allows him to do that very thing...All of this is common knowledge amongst his subordinates...
Romeo is an adult man with somewhat long, pale cyan hair and matching eyes. He also has bright purple lips, most likely lipstick. He wears the standard Sumeragi officers uniform.
He is occasionally seen wielding an electric whip.
Romeo appears to be an extremely flamboyant, eccentric person. However, he is also quite sadistic, taking a disturbing amount of glee in torturing his prisoners, especially handsome young men, even stating that it's his hobby. He has no problems outright molesting even his fellow officers, regardless of age.
He also appears to be quite cowardly, being reduced to little more than a petrified wreck upon the realization of Gunvolt's identity.
At some point, Romeo and his men succeed in capturing a young QUILL agent on a mission to destroy Sumeragi's virtual idol, Lumen. Interrogating him himself, Romeo tortures the young "terrorist" with his elecrto whip, mocking him for his failure, and tells him Lumen is on a train.
At that moment, the boy suddenly breaks free from his bonds, completely unharmed. Romeo is shocked, then terrified when he realizes the boy is, in fact, Gunvolt. The latter thanks him for the intel, then leaves to find The Muse. Cowering in the corner, Romeo orders his men to cut all power to the elevator.
Powers and Abilities
Romeo is a normal human with no particularly noteworthy abilities, although he is presumably competent or well connected enough to have reached his executive officer position. He has enough clout within Sumeragi to get away with indulging in his personal interests in a company building, despite it being an open secret among his subordinates. He is adept at wielding various tools such as pliers and a jerrycan, although that's just his hobby.
(Original localization: The Electroscourge, or just The 'Scourge) A powerful electro-whip capable of channeling vast amounts of electricity, making it quite the lethal weapon. Despite this, it is virtually useless against an Azure Striker, and actually recharges Gunvolt when used against him.
Romeo safely handles the whip by wearing insulated gloves.
- Following the tradition of Sumeragi officers being named after cars, Romeo's name is based on the Alfa Romeo.
- Romeo's name is only mentioned by the website and credits for the OVA. In both the game and anime, he is referred to as "Creepy Electro Whip Guy" (Perv Guy in Japan).
- Although Romeo is said to officially be higher ranked than Nova, his uniform does not have shoulder stripes like the ones on Nova's, Jota's, and the three top executives' uniforms.
- Despite his small role in the game and OVA, Romeo has repeatedly gotten cameos and been featured in extra materials.
- A 4koma comic, which depicts another hobby: Dancing with his electro whip.
- A Line sticker.
- A pixel sticker in Mighty Gunvolt Burst.
- A hidden voice clip playing bronze statue in Luminous Avenger iX's opening stage, accessed by mid-air reloading a checkpoint at the bottom of stairs.
- The ASG1 character tin badge package is named the Romeo Pack.
- The Inti Creates merchandise official website, Inti Direct, has a welcome banner with a chibified Romeo holding his whip.
- The blu-ray release of MORPHO VIRTUAL LIVE 2020, where he will serve as a navigator to liven the performance.
- Romeo's voice actor, Hideki Makino, voices Isola's manager in the drama CD Isola: Full Power Idol. He is also the voice actor for Kenwood in the Blaster Master Zero Trilogy.