"Stratos, lord of the horde, feasts upon the laboratory's grotesque flora. But they can only sate his hunger for so long..."
The hollow Lord of the Flies that eats grotesque colorful flowers blooming in the laboratory (labo)…
The “Devouring Flying Insect (Gluttony Fly)”…
It runs wild and strikes, it eats again and again, all to fulfill the ceaseless hunger…
Garden is one of the main missions in Azure Striker Gunvolt, taking place in the stage Pharma Lab. This laboratory houses the Eidolon Flower, an artificial plant Sumeragi uses to produce a drug known as S.E.E.D. While the drug was originally created as a cure for a rare disease known as GERM (ジャム) and has normal medication uses, a variant of it is being used to control Adepts through drug addiction. Gunvolt's mission is to end production by destroying the Eidolon.
There are a few gimmicks to this stage:
- Vine platforms act as footholds in various parts. They are extremely vulnerable to electricity, and crumble upon contact by Flashfield.
- This stage is a breeding ground for some of Sumeragi's greener experiments. The normal enemies "Tentacle" and "Spider Flower" make a near exclusive appearance here, and the Eidolon serves as a medium boss at the end of the first half of the stage.
- During the second half of the stage, Stratos will periodically flood the level with ravenous insects. They will destroy the enemies in the area, however they can hurt Gunvolt as well. Using Flashfield can repel them.
During the first half of the stage, you'll find a room with multiple ivy platforms over spikes.
The Jewel is near the end of the room, next to a Spider Flower.
- Pharmabeautiful: Clear in 8 minutes or less. (Reward: Kripp Alloy x8)
- Express Exterminator: Clear in 5 minutes or less. (Reward: Phased Fluid Metal x1)
- Green Thumb: Clear with a rank of B or higher. (Reward: Nanochip 98 x8)
- Pesticidal Urges: Clear with a rank of S or higher. (Reward: Apoitaqara x1)
- Petal to the Mettle: Defeat Eidolon without using any Offensive Skills. (Reward: Phased Fluid Metal x2)
- Bug Zapper: Use the Flashfield to block as many swarms as possible. (Reward: Apoitagara x1)
- The Pharma Lab being a sun-lit stage was a mistake made by part of the graphics team, who were not aware that all missions were intended to take place at night. As this mistake could not be fixed, it was covered up by calling the Pharma Lab a greenhouse dome with artificial lights in stage dialogue, with attention being placed on how it's really past 1 AM when the mission takes place.
- There exists a special icon in the stage that can be uncovered by shooting it five times with Mizuchi, and sets the player's Kudos to 1000 when revealed. This icon is of Ekoro from the Gal*Gun series.
- S.E.E.D and GERM are references to one of Inti Creates' first games, Love & Destroy. In it, SEED is a source of energy used to fight alien invaders known as GERM.